Mmm… Mexican food.
1 pound pinto beans
1 TBS canola oil
1 tsp cumin, coriander
1-2 TBS minced garlic
2 tsp salt
1. Soak beans in a large bowl of water for at least 6 hours. Overnight, or while you’re at work are perfect times.
2. Rinse beans thoroughly. Cook in fresh water at a low simmer for about 1.5 hours. Beans should be very soft.
3. Pour the cooking water out into a container. You’ll want to keep at least 4 cups.
4. Once water is drained, add the oil and garlic to the pan. Saute over medium heat for about 5 minutes. Add salt and spices.
5. Reduce heat to low. Add 3-4 cups of the water back about 1/2 C at a time, while mashing the beans with a potato masher. Total amount of water will depend on your texture preference.
6. Continue to simmer the beans over low heat for 10 minutes, stirring frequently. Add more water if they get too dry for you.
Refried beans and a little pico de gallo make for some easy and delicious nachos, or serve along with your favorite Mexican dishes.
On this Day in History: Cranberry Almond Green Beans.