Ok, so the ingredient this month is Basil. Now I’m a huge basil-lover (whereas Jo is not such a fan), but using basil in a cupcake put me off at first (Jo’s reaction when I told her it was basil, “eww gross”). I did some investigating and discussing with my taste-testers what they might want to eat in combination with basil in a cupcake. After realizing that I like to turn alcoholic beverages into tasty edibles..the consensus became Orange Basil Mojito cupcakes! They turned out better than expected, but not something that I think I would make on a regular basis…like margarita cupcakes or something. I think next time I make these, I’ll stick to the traditional mint mojito. But I digress… Again, this month I’ll be competing in the Iron Cupcake:Earth Challenge for the following prizes:
*Jesse Steele aprons
*Taste of Home cookbook
*ETSY artist METAL SUGAR
*Head Chef’s by Fiesta Products
So help me win by voting for me and the Innocent Primate’s Orange Basil Mojito cupcake!! So without further ado, here’s the recipe!
Orange-Rum-nectar glaze: I adapted the Simple Agave Nectar Icing also from VCTOTW. I substituted orange juice for the liquid, added in some rum, and used powdered sugar in place of the soy powder.
1/3 C orange juice
1 TBSP arrowroot
pinch of salt
1/3 C canola oil
1/3 C agave nectar
1.5 tsp orange extract
1/2 C confectioner’s sugar
1 TBSP rum (light flavor like a coconut, or a neutral flavor)*optional
Orange-Basil Cupcake: I adapted the Basic Vanilla Cupcake in VCTOTW (per usual), and used orange juice in place of half the milk. I also switched out the vanilla extract for orange extract. And to give it a triple shot of orangey citrus goodness, I add the zest of 2 clementines.
1/2 C orange juice
1/2 C hemp milk
1/2 tsp apple cider vinegar
2 TBSP cornstarch
3/4 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
1/2 C Earth Balance vegan butter, softened
3/4 C turbinado sugar
2 tsp orange extract
zest from 2 clementines, or 1 orange
fresh chopped basil
1. Make the icing: In a small saucepan, until dissolved. Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly with a whisk until the mixturewhisk together the orange juice with the arrowroot and salt thickens into a puddinglike consistency, about 2-3 minutes. Transfer to a medium bowl and add agave nectar, whisk to combine.
2. Add the canola oil, orange extracts, and rum (if using), whisk to combine. Sift in the confectioner’s sugar and whisk until combined, creamy and smooth. Cover and chill in the fridge for at least 30 minutes (while the cupcakes bake and cool), to overnight.
3. Make the cupcakes: Preheat oven to 350°F and line mini muffin pan with mini cupcake liners.Whisk the hemp milk and vinegar in a measuring cup; set aside. Sift the flour, cornstarch, baking powder, baking soda, and salt into a large bowl and mix.
4. In a separate large bowl, use a hand mixer to cream the vegan butter and sugar until light and fluffy, about 2 minutes – don’t over mix. Add in orange extract, and mix. Add orange juice to the milk/vinegar and alternate adding the wet and dry ingredients to the creamed vegan butter/sugar mixture.
5. Fill the cupcake liners two-thirds full, sprinkle with chopped basil, and bake for 15 minutes (for mini’s; 20-22 for regular size). Transfer to a cooling rack to cool completely. Top with chilled agave nectar icing and enjoy!!
Happy Baking! And remember, drink and bake responsibly 😉 !!! Don’t forget to vote for Innocent Primate Orange Basil Mojito cupcakes between Sunday, September 28 (12noon central) and Wednesday Oct 1 (12noon central)!
Read Full Post »