Devil’s Food Coffee Cupcake topped with espresso bean dark chocolate ganache… ok, so technically ‘Magdalena’ would translate to something like ‘muffin’ but who cares when you have such a cool name for a cupcake as this one? This is my submission to the Iron Cupcake: Earth this month! The flavor is coffee, and a natural pairing with chocolate seems the most logical – why mess with a classic!
Dark Chocolate Espresso Ganache
3/4 C + 2 TBSP Sugar-free Sweetened MimicCreme
1 3-oz bar of Endangered Species Dark Chocolate with Espresso Beans, roughly chopped
1/4 C vegan chocolate chips
4 TBSP cold Earth Balance vegan butter
Devil’s Food Coffee Cupcake
1 TBSP ground flax in 2 TBSP warm water
1.5 C King Arthur Organic white whole wheat flour
6 TBSP ground cocoa
3/4 C vegan granulated sugar
3/4 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1.5 TBSP Earth Balance vegan butter, melted
1 TBSP canola oil
1/3 C hemp milk + 1/4 tsp apple cider vinegar
1 tsp vanilla extract
1/4 C + 2 TBSP black coffee
1. Make the ganache: In a medium saucepan, scald the MimicCreme (until steamy) over medium heat. Remove from heat and add the chocolate. Let stand a few minutes, then whisk until smooth. Add the cold vegan butter, and whisk until smooth again, set aside leaving at room temperature until ready to use. (*Note: Those aren’t lumps in my ganache, that’s the bits of espresso bean from the chocolate bar).
2. Make the cupcakes: In a small bowl, combine the ground flax with the warm water, set aside. In a measuring cup, combine the hemp milk with the cider vinegar, set aside. Preheat the oven to 375°F and line a 12-cup muffin tin with cupcake liners. In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, cocoa powder, sugar, baking soda, baking powder, and salt, set aside. In another bowl, combine the flax egg, canola oil, hemp milk combo, melted vegan butter, extract, and coffee. Stir together the dry ingredients into the wet. Fill the cupcake liners 1/2 full – or evenly until all the batter is used up, minus a little for quality control 😉 . Bake the cupcakes 15 minutes. Let cool slightly in the pan, then allow to cool completely on a cooling rack. (*Lovliebutterfly: they came out flat again, and I just used all white whole wheat…I don’t know how I do it…hmm).
3. Frost the cupcakes with the room temperature ganache. I decided to go ‘old-school’ and frost it free-hand instead of with a piping tip. It made me feel like a kid at a birthday party, but with adult beverages 🙂 !Enjoy with a cuppa or cocktail!
Prizes this month are:
- DIANAEVANS – http://www.etsy.com/shop.php?user_id=5599270
- a pair of cupcake earrings from LOTS OF SPRINKLES – http://www.etsy.com/shop.php?user_id=6057281.
- CAKESPY – http://www.etsy.com/shop.php?user_id=5243382
As an added bonus for February, SWEET CUPPIN CAKES BAKERY AND CUPCAKERY SUPPLY will be tossing in a variety of cupcaking supplies, http://www.acupcakery.com/index.html.
Last and certainly not least, don’t forget our corporate prize providers: HEAD CHEFS by FIESTA PRODUCTS, http://www.fiestaproducts.com, HELLO CUPCAKE by Karen Tack and Alan Richardson, http://blog.hellocupcakebook.com, JESSIE STEELE APRONS http://www.jessiesteele.com; TASTE OF HOME books, http://www.tasteofhome.com; a t-shirt from UPWITHCUPCAKES.COM http://www.upwithcupcakes.com/. Iron Cupcake:Earth is sponsored in part by 1-800-Flowers, http://www.1800flowers.com
Happy Baking! And don’t forget to vote come March 1st!