Readers may be surprised by this, but I find it absolutely impossible to follow a recipe exactly – even ones I’ve developed myself! I always think, oh, it would be great to add a little of this, or leave out just a little of that. The downside is that sometimes things are not quite as delicious as they could be, but the upside is that sometimes I improve on things. So, I was baking my other Chocolate Chip Cookies, which are a bit on the thick side, and wanted them to be a little bit thinner, with tantalizingly crisp edges, and soft gooey middles. And here it is, my new and improved chocolate chip cookie recipe:
2 TBS flaxseed meal combined with 1/4 C water, and then microwaved for 30 seconds
1.75 C AP flour
1 stick Earth Balance buttery sticks
1 stick Earth Balance shortening
1 C cane sugar
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
2 tsp vanilla
1 bag chocolate chips
1 C nuts (optional)
1. Soak the flaxseed meal in warm water for at least 10 minutes. Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
2. Cream the Earth Balance sticks with the sugar.
3. Add vanilla and flaxseed goo.
4. Add dry ingredients in a few stages, mixing each thoroughly.
5. Mix in chips and nuts. Taste test!
6. Roll spoonfuls of dough into balls.
7. Bake at 400 degrees for 9-10 minutes.
On this day in History: Roasted Corn Salsa