We’re big on tea here at the primate, as you may know. The second best part of afternoon tea is, of course, some cookies (that’s biscuits to my British friends) to go along with it. Sometimes you won’t be able to brew up a batch of homemade chai, so some chai spice cookies to go along with your regular tea can give you your cardamom fix.
2 C flour
1/3 C confectioner’s sugar
1/3 C turbinado sugar
1/4 tsp salt
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp cardamom
1/8 tsp cloves
1/4 tsp nutmeg
2 tsp vanilla
2 sticks Earth Balance
few spoonfuls of cinnamon sugar
1. Place all dry ingredients in a food processor, and give a few quick pulses to blend.
2. Cut “butter” into pieces and add to food processor, along with vanilla. Blend for 20-30 seconds, or until the mixture resembles course cornmeal.
3. Turn onto lightly floured surface and kneed a few times to form a dough. Roll into a ball.
4. Cover with plastic and refrigerate for 1 – 24 hours.
5. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Roll dough out onto a lightly floured surface and cut with cookie cutters.
6. Sprinkle with cinnamon sugar.
7. Bake at 350 degrees for 12 minutes.