These cupcakes are the quintessential combination of chocolate and orange. They were adapted from Vegan Cupcakes Take Over The World ‘Orange Pudding Cupcakes’. I attempted the orange pudding, but it was not what I would consider great so we’ll just stick to the parts that were great – the cupcake. This recipe makes about a baker’s dozen, so you’ll have extra to send into the oven as a scout and for batter quality control. 😉
1/2 C Earth Balance vegan butter, softened (unless you are using a mixer)
3/4 C granulated sugar
3/4 C hemp or almond milk
1/2 C fresh squeezed orange juice
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 2/3 AP flour
1/3 C white whole wheat flour
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 baking soda
1 TBSP finely grated orange zest
1 C vegan chocolate chips or finely chopped chocolate of choice, such as a bar of Endangered Species (or for a pooch friendly topping, use carob)
1. Preheat oven to 350°F. Brush a muffing tin with canola oil, or line with muffin liners.
2. In a mixing bowl, cream together vegan butter and sugar.
3. Mix together milk, juice, and vanilla. Add to butter/sugar blend.
4. In a separate bowl, sift together flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Add in 3 batches to the butter/liquid mixture. Fold in the orange zest until well combined.
5. Fill each greased/lined muffin cup 2/3 full and bake for 20-22 minutes.
6. Allow to cool for 5 minutes, then remove from pan and allow to cool completely.
7. Drizzle with glaze: In a small saucepan, warm chocolate over medium low heat. Stir to facilitate melting without burning. Fill a pastry bag with the melted chocolate and drizzle across the tops. Alternatively you could dip a fork into the melted chocolate and splatter the chocolate across the tops, but this could prove to be a slightly messier endeavor.