I found this recipe on The Crepes of Wrath blog, and it looked so delicious (one among many) I decided to veganize it. And I must say, I’m glad I did! It was super delicious, and the ladies at work seemed to love them too!! 🙂 So here’s my adapted and slightly altered version of the recipe. It makes about 12-13 regular sized muffins plus about 16-18 mini muffins. Enjoy!
1 orange-canola egg (1/4 C 50:50 of canola and OJ)
1 scant C hemp milk + 1 tsp apple cider vinegar = vegan buttermilk (I was just shy of a full cup)
1 cup vegan granulated sugar
zest of 1 orange
1 1/2 C all-purpose flour
1 C white whole wheat, plus 1/4 C more for adjusting moisture content if needed
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
2 TBSP ground flaxseed (optional)
1/3 C canola oil
1 tsp vanilla
1 tsp orange extract (or just use all vanilla)
2 C dried cranberries
1/4 C Earth Balance vegan butter, room temp
1/4 C granulated sugar
1/2 C white whole wheat or AP flour
1/2 tsp cinnamon
turbinado sugar, for sprinkling (optional)
1. Make the Cupcakes: In a 1/4 C measuring cup, fill it halfway with canola oil. Fill to top with orange juice, set aside. Mix together hemp milk plus ACV, set aside in the fridge. Preheat the oven to 375°F and grease and/or line your muffin tins.
2. Zest your orange and put it in a bowl with the sugar. Rub it together with your hands until the sugar is a light orange color. Add in the flour, flaxseed, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Fold the cranberries into the dry mix.
3. In medium bowl whisk together the canola egg, buttermilk, oil, and extracts and set aside. Gently pour the wet mix onto the dry mix and fold to combine just until all is wet. Do not over mix! Fill each muffin cup with 1/4 cup of batter.
4. Make the Crumb topping: Combine the room temperature butter and sugar in a bowl with your hands. Add salt, cinnamon, and the flour and mix with your hands. You will want to keep mixing until the mixture turns into little crumbs the size of rice. Sprinkle the crumb topping onto the muffins. Sprinkle the turbinado sugar over that, if using.
5. Place muffins in the oven and bake for about 20-22 min (for regular muffins) or 15 min (for mini muffins) or until a toothpick comes out clean. Allow to cool for about 10 minutes in the tins before removing.
*Aesthetic Note: If you want crested tops instead of flat tops, use 2.5 C AP flour and omit the white whole wheat flour.