Ok, another addition to the SOP category!! Brownies!! Now everybody should know how to make brownies, especially vegan brownies, to satisfy that chewy, cakey, chocolatey craving when it strikes! Sometimes, a preemptive strike is necessary – when no one gets harmed, that is… So with that said, I give you SOP Brownies. They are so caramely chewy, and chocolatey good…no one can resist their powers! They go perfect with vegan ice cream too! Mmm…I see a brownie sundae in my future, with strawberry ice cream! Ah, the future’s so bright, I gotta wear shades 🙂
3 TBSP ground flax meal + 1/3 C warm water
12 TBSP (1 1⁄2 sticks) Earth Balance Vegan Butter
3⁄4 C unsweetened cocoa powder
1.5 C turbinado sugar
2 tsp vanilla extract (or a 1:1 combo of almond and vanilla extract)
1.5 C all-purpose flour (or buckwheat for gluten-free)
Pinch of salt
1. Line the bottom and sides of a 9-by-13-inch baking pan with parchment. Make flaxseed+water combo; set aside. Preheat the oven to 350F.
2. Put the 12 tablespoons Earth Balance vegan butter in a large saucepan and set over medium heat. Stir with the whisk just until the butter is melted.
3. Remove the saucepan from the heat and add the cocoa powder. Whisk until the mixture is smooth and no lumps remain.
4. Add the sugar and continue whisking until well blended. Let the mixture cool for 2 minutes.
5. Add the flaxseed mixture and vanilla and almond extracts and whisk until well blended. Add the flour and salt. Using a rubber spatula, stir until the batter is blended. Scrape down the sides of the bowl as needed.
6. Scrape the batter into the prepared baking pan and spread evenly. Bake until a toothpick inserted into the center of the brownie comes out clean, about 20-30 minutes. Let cool completely.
Optional add-ins: Vegan chocolate chips (your favorite brand – I’m personally not a fan of the Tropical Source, but that’s just me) and/or Nuts (again, personal favorites include walnuts and pecans for brownies, but it’s up to you).